Paredes Pedrosa Arquitectos S.L.P
Ignacio Garcia Pedrosa (Madrid 1957, ETSAM 1983, PhD 2015) and Ángela García de Paredes (Madrid 1958, ETSAM 1982, PhD 2015) established the architectural firm PAREDES PEDROSA in 1990, after collaborating with José M. García de Paredes.
Professors at the Architectural Design Department in Madrid School of Architecture, they are also visiting professors in the architecture schools of Pamplona, ESARQ UIC in Barcelona and IUAV in Venice and critics and lecturers at several Universities as GSD Harvard, ETH Zurich, Accademia di Architettura di Mendrisio, EPFL Lausanne, TU München, TU Graz, FADU Buenos Aires e Ibero en México, among others.
Their built work after first prize competitions include: Town Hall in Valdemaqueda, Valle inclán Theatre in Madrid, Archaeology Museum in Almeria, Peñíscola Congress Centre, Espacio Torner in Cuenca, La Olmeda Roman Villa Museum in Palencia, UPI School in Gandía, Ceuta Public Library, Lugo Auditorium and Córdoba Public Library, the latter under construction. Other first prize competitions are Borghetto Flaminio in Roma and recently the Visigoth Museum in Mérida, Jaén Justice Court and the Spanish School in Rabat.
Awarded by the Government of Spain with the Spain Fine Arts Gold Medal 2014 and Spain Architecture Award 2007. Other Awards: ar+d Award, Europan II y IV, Madrid Architecture Award, COAM Mansilla Award, Gold Medal international Prize for Sustainable Architecture, Mediterranean Sustainable Architecture Award, Eduardo Torroja Award for Engineering and Architecture, AADIPA European Award for Architectural Heritage intervention, Special Mention Europa Nostra, Honourable Mention Piranesi Prix de Rome and are Shortlisted Mies Van der Rohe Award and Aga Khan Architecture Award.
Paredes Pedrosa´s work has been selected for Spain Architecture Biennials 2011, 2007, 2003 and 1999, Venice Biennials in 2016, 2012, 2000 and 1996, and Iberoamerican Biennials in 2014, 2010, 2008 and 2000.
Monograph exhibitions: “Paredes Pedrosa Obra desde 1990 em 20 imagens e 40 maquetes” in ESAP Escola Superior Artística do Porto and in Lisbon Galería NOTE 2013.
They have been appointed curators of the Spanish Pavilion with the exhibition “Architecture for Music” at the VI Venice Biennale 1996 and of the Iberoamerican Biennials in Cádiz 2012 and Sao Paulo 2016, and jury in numerous national and international competitions, biennials and awards.
Paredes Pedrosa Arquitectos led by Ignacio Garcia Pedrosa and Ángela García de Paredes is dedicated to competitions, project and urban design mainly for public buildings related to cultural equipment. Their built works include cultural buildings that integrate heritage remains on site and also specific interventions in historical buildings.
Paredes Pedrosa has a diverse built portfolio in which architectures from different times are set side by side as a suggestive way of working with archaeological fragments where the new architecture assumes its temporality without imposing a definitive character. These fragments from the past can be a design tool as in: Ceuta Public Library, Olmeda Roman Villa Museum, Almeria Archaeology Museum, Torner Museum, Library in Córdoba or in Twin houses in Oropesa.
Their awards, which prove their interest in the relationship between architecture, art and society, include Europa Nostra, Gold Medal of Merit for Fine Arts, Madrid Architecture Award, International Sustainable Architecture Gold Medal and European Award for Architectural Heritage Intervention. Finalists in Mies Van der Rohe Award, Piranesi Prix de Rome, and Aga Khan Architecture Award.
Ángela and Ignacio, founding partners, are professors at the ETSAM, ESARQ UIC and IUAV and critics and lecturers for several universities including GSD Harvard, Accademia di Architettura di Mendrisio, ETH Zurich. Their work has been published in AV Monografías 188